Welcome to Penketh Parish Council
About Penketh Parish Council
Welcome to the Parish of Penketh a Suburb of Warrington, Cheshire. Penketh is around 2 miles away from Warrington City Centre. Penketh has a population of around 8143 people and continues to grow.
Penketh has an active Parish council which consists of 11 Councillors who are elected by the residents of Penketh. The council maintain 3 recreational sites along with the Penketh Pool and Community Centre.
At the end of the 18th. century Penketh was a small hamlet under Great Sankey consisting of 75 houses, where some 300 inhabitants earned their living from farming or by carrying on trades such as cobbling or carpentry in their own homes. The name Penketh is an old English word probably dating back to before Roman times, made up of the Celtic words “Pen” meaning “end or edge” and “coed” meaning “woods”. The “end of the wood” in this case is Burtonwood, once an extensive forest. One of the first mentions of the Penketh family was William de Penketh who was witness to a charter in 1240. In 1280 Gilbert and Robert Penketh became joint lords of the Manor of Penketh. The Penketh family lived in Penketh Hall from around 1216 to 1624. The most well-known member of the Penketh family was Thomas Penketh, who died in 1487. He was a friar and Head Hermit of St. Augustine, England. William Shakespeare mentioned Thomas Penketh for his part in the conspiracy with Sir Edmund Shaw to overthrow the English throne in favour of Richard, Duke of Gloucester, who later became Richard the Third.
Penketh was described a few hundred years ago as running between two Inns or Public Houses: from the Red Lion Inn on Penketh Road to the Crown and Cushion Inn on the corner of Stocks Lane and Farnworth Road. The village stocks (for public punishment) were situated outside the Wesleyan Chapel on Stocks Lane, opposite the Crown and Cushion. The Red Lion Inn played a central role in the life of Penketh. Parish Council meetings were held there, and Parish records were stored for over 300 years in the Penketh Chest, which was originally kept in the Red Lion. The documents in the chest included Parish Council minutes, Constable’s accounts, Highway accounts, rates and bills and Poor relief records.